(See images below.)
This is a great example of how seemingly harmless children’s books and entertainment actually contain deeply problematic messages.
These are the lessons that this Dora book has for preschool to grade 1 kids.
1. Parents are overbearing and irrational.
2. It’s fine to disobey parents especially if you can get help from friends.
3. Friends know better than parents and parents need to be corrected.
4. It’s “safe” and “fun” dressing like adults, wearing makeup like adults, and dancing with the opposite sex. Those who disagree are simply wrong.
5. Parents and authority figures generally are hypocrites because they prohibit you from doing things that they themselves would enjoy were they to engage in them.
6. The path to happiness for yourself, your friends, and society at large is to throw away restrictions and liberate yourself and others from rules that just don’t make sense to you.
All this from just a few pages of a library book. Imagine an entire childhood full of books, TV shows, movies, and music hammering these messages into a kid’s head. What will be the result? What will this kid intuitively feel about religion?
By the way, the use of the word “safe” is quite conspicuous.
This is a great example of how seemingly harmless children's books and entertainment actually contain deeply problematic…
Posted by Daniel Haqiqatjou on Monday, April 17, 2017