This is a small selection of books that I think are worth reading if you are interested in the following topics. Obviously I do not endorse everything that is in these books. I also include a short reason why the books are beneficial.
Philosophy of Science
- This is the #1 philosophy book I recommend for anyone interested in being a Muslim Skeptic. Once you understand how the seemingly most solid, unquestionable discipline of all time, i.e., science, can be fundamentally critiqued, then no other modern ideology, namely, the ones that conflict with Islam, stands a chance.
- This important book in the philosophy of science is great for debunking the supposed rationality of the “scientific method.”
- Objectivity is an important concept used in the debates on atheism vs. religion. Science is objective, religion is not, we are told. But objectivity has its own history and is not as unimpeachable a concept as many would like.
Feminism and Sexuality
- Is the patriarchy really this all-powerful force that has been oppressing women for all time, in all cultures? This book has plenty of salient facts to speak to this question and ultimately overturn much of the feminist dogma that has been forced down modern society’s throat.
- A valuable critique of the sexual revolution from a religious perspective and a rational one. This is a fun read.
- Don’t read this if you are easily triggered. It is extremely subversive and was very controversial when it first came out. That being said, I really love this book.
- Another book by the author of The Myth of Male Power. More important facts to bring to the whole feminism debate.
- Read this to understand the history of how Muslim societies and scholars conceived of same-sex behavior before the Western notion of “homosexuality” was coined in the 19th century.
- Judith Butler takes feminist thought to its logical but deeply disturbing conclusion: “Biological sex” is a social construction. This is a very influential book and it is discursively useful in arguing against the feminist project because, among other things, it shows the self-defeating nature of feminism as a system of thought.
Liberalism and Secularism
- A great extended argument made by Stanley Fish. Critical reading if you want to understand the issue from a deeper philosophical perspective that avoids all the useless cliches and chest-beating of “freedom-loving” patriots and liberal activists alike.
- This book provides a useful critique of religious freedom. It doesn’t go as far as it could, but still valuable.
- Love this book. Must-read.
- I don’t recommend this book unless you’re already fairly familiar with analytic philosophy. That being said, it is arguably the greatest work of philosophy of all time, full of amazing insights and mind-bending reflections on the nature of philosophy, language, thought, and meaning. It is also a work that virtually no one understands.
- More Wittgenstein. Read this before you read Philosophical Investigations.
- A prominent atheist philosopher admits that evolutionary naturalism is bogus. This book made many atheists very angry.
Note: This page contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the book links and order, I’ll receive a small commission inshaAllah. This helps support the website and allows me to continue to keep it up and updated. Thank you for the support and jazakAllah khayr!